We all take ourselves a bit too seriously at times, which is normal, but perhaps we can make it easier on ourselves by seeing a bit more of the humor in our every day follies, foibles and fantastic fickleness. Give yourself more laugh breaks every day, even if it’s just taking a few minutes to read your favorite online or in-print cartoon, or perhaps some quotes like these “Lighten Things Up: 18 Funny and Inspirational Weight Loss Quotes.” Here are few gems from that post:
- My favorite exercise is a cross between a lunge and a crunch … I call it ‘lunch’.
- “My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people.” – Orson Welles
- “I always cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.” – W.C. Fields
- “When the waitress asked if I wanted my pizza cut into four or eight slices, I said, ‘Four. I don’t think I can eat eight.’” – Yogi Berra
- “Exercise is a dirty word. Every time I hear it I wash my mouth out with chocolate.” – Charles M. Schulz
… and more visual weight loss humor from this Pinterest page. 🙂
There’s solid medical evidence for the health benefits of humor therapy – adding frivolity to your mental diet regimen, too. One of the more famous examples was Norman Cousins who literally laughed himself back to health by watching TV shows that made him laugh … a lot! He discovered that “10 minutes of good belly laughter would give me two hours of pain-free sleep … laughter (produces) a natural body anesthesia.”
If you haven’t seen it (or want to enjoy again), check out Robin Williams classic portrayal of Hunter Patch Adams, a doctor who co-authored the book “Gesundheit: Good Health is a Laughing Matter” and “each year he organizes a group of volunteers from around the world to travel to various countries where they dress as clowns in an effort to bring humor to orphans, patients, and other people.” Laughter may also be the least expensive and most readily available form of alternative medicine – which Dr. Adams endorses whole-heartedly.
If you want to burn more calories sitting on the couch, dig through your favorite comedic DVDs and watch new and old faves. Here are a few from the author’s collection:
- Larger Than Life
- Fawlty Towers
- Groundhog Day
- Life of Brian
- A Shot in the Dark
- Young Frankenstein
- The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!
- The Gods Must Be Crazy
Your mileage may vary, so find what makes you laugh in whatever media you enjoy; it might books, podcasts, local stand-up venues, political pundits and punsters or just hanging out with friends that make you laugh. Whatever tickles your funny bone, make time for your humor-health! 🙂